How To Trick Facebook Algorithms and Get More Facebook Leads?
Less Likes? Fewer leads? Are you getting less and less engagement on your Facebook page?
Facebook changed its algorithm.
For those who haven’t yet switched to better platforms like Instagram (as covered in our previous post), here’s a quick guide to bypass Facebook’s new engagement algorithm and get even more Facebook leads as a Realtor.
From an industry standpoint, Real Estate pages are seeing a decrease in organic reach. Facebook has been focusing on providing its users with “meaningful interaction – i.e. content that they can relate to and actively interact with. Previously Facebook used to balance their users’ needs with that of paid advertisers. But the 2018 change is user-led. With an increasing scare of data misuse, Facebook it trying to revamp its business model.
As Mark Zuckerberg explains in a post announcing the changes, “Recently, we’ve gotten feedback from our community that public content – posts from businesses, brands and media – is crowding out the personal moments that lead us to connect more with each other.” This has brought fears from many real estate agents about decreasing levels of engagement with their content and a fall in referral traffic. So what can real estate agents do at such a time of distress?
1. Get Comments and Shares
Facebook’s new algorithm prioritizes comments as being the main source of engagement. Posts that generate more comments will be higher up in the newsfeed. This means that posting pictures of your Listings hoping for someone to reach out to you will no longer work. Simple pictures of listings will not normally get Comments, and therefore Facebook doesn’t display them in people’s feeds. To get Facebook leads, you need to:
- Create content that pushes users to interact with (e.g. organize contests where users tag other users – we made a free guide to that -, direct questions, polls, recommendations…).
- Experiment with new & uncommon Facebook features, like the Polls and the Recommendations Posts. Facebook promotes users who use their integrated tools.
- Stimulate shares and likes even though they are a level below comments with regards to engagement.
2. Don’t use “click-baits” or overly promotional posts
Click baits are very often used to entice potential clients. However, the Facebook algorithm identifies click baits and overly promotional posts and penalizes them by making them less visible. That’s generally the case for all social media (as covered in our most famous post). Make sure you:
- Have a good marketing strategy that is entertaining, engaging, and useful to your client base. If you don’t know the type of content you’ll post – tomorrow or next week – then you probably need someone to take care of it.
- Limit the use of links. The Facebook algorithm automatically reduces the post’s visibility because these links takes the users outside the social media platform.
3. Videos and Facebook ‘Live’
Videos are considered to be the most engaging form of multimedia and the most effective to get Facebook leads. They are placed high up on the Facebook’s algorithm in terms of generating meaningful interaction and comments. To get serious Facebook leads, you need to:
- Share your properties or tips using video or Facebook Live. WebCreative just launched its photography and videography package that will give your Facebook page the push it needs.
- Create direct conversation with your followers using Facebook Live. Have a dedicated Q&A session every 2 weeks. Being asked questions ‘Live’ makes you look transparent and genuine, and will get Facebook Leads through private messages.
- Don’t overdo Facebook Live as it can quickly become redundant. For example, on Instagram, all your followers receive a notification every time you start one.
Dan Wurtele, Realtor at Oakwyn Realty, shares weekly Market news on Facebook
4. Reply to everything
Creating conversation implies that you constantly need to engage with people. The more consistent you are with your replies the more visible you will be. This means you have to:
- Reply to comments and messages to show people you are interested in them – show that you are going in the extra mile on Facebook, just like in real life.
- Take the initiative to tag friends and clients under your own posts. Facebook Algorithm might have simply not displayed your post on their feed. Give them the opportunity to interact with it.
5. Facebook Ads
It might be disappointing for many real estate agents to know that paid ads make a difference. Data shows us that Facebook ads produce an overwhelmingly positive ROI with 93% of marketers already on board. Facebook makes this easier by including core audiences, custom audiences and lookalike audiences. To get Facebook leads, you need to:
- Post ads that will catch your followers’ attention. They do not need to be expensive. Besides, you pay for ads as you go, which means that you won’t pay anything if nobody clicks on your link. Our friends at WebCreative have solid results with their agents.
- Boosting posts to your followers also increases engagement. This will make sure you reach people that are actually interested in your work. For that, you have to use Facebook Business Manager tool to draft target audiences (e.g. by city, age, interest, salary…)
6. Get personal
Facebook is trying to give its users a better user experience through its algorithm by creating more personal interactions. Therefore, business pages are getting penalized by Facebook algorithms, but personal pages are not. People who are genuine storytellers will create original content that will organically engage their followers.
- Create high quality content that resonates from within you and therefore touch the hearts of your audience.
- Post testimonials. People like hearing from other people. Don’t underestimate the power of displaying testimonials to get Facebook leads.
- Tell them how much you enjoyed working with your last client. Don’t be afraid to share your personal life with your followers — they will appreciate it.
Despite of obstacles being thrown our way, we need to learn to adapt and learn. Facebook’s new algorithm is possibly for the better as it gives businesses a chance to be creative with their marketing rather than regurgitating the same old strategy to get Facebook leads.
Don’t miss your chance to receive a FREE audit of your digital marketing situation over by email in under 48 hours. Our team will look at your Facebook, Instagram, website and online presence to pinpoint what’s good / bad. Be prepared for some honest criticism; 3/10!